Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Church #29 - St. Agatha, Woonsocket



I went to a noon Mass here a couple weeks ago. The daily Mass is held in a chapel in the rectory, which I unfortunately don't have any good pictures of. I remember the priest being phenomenal - during the homily, I remember thinking that I could listen to him for hours.



I would describe the interior of the church as simple, but pleasant. The place is very clean and well taken care of. The layout is straightforward, and the decorations are few but very nice. I'm guessing the statue in the above picture is St. Agatha, but I didn't think to check.



St. Agatha doesn't seem to get a lot of "traffic" as a patroness, but she gets a shout out in the Canon of the Mass. She is a martyr, murdered during a persecution of the Roman emperor Decius in the 3rd century for refusing to recant her faith. Decius didn't last long as emperor, was killed in battle, and is mostly notable for his persecutions of innocent people, so I think she came out on top in this one.


I always love seeing media stands like this in churches. Education in the faith is so important, for adults as well as for kids. I wish every church had one.

No comments:

Post a Comment