Friday, June 5, 2015

Church #15 - Mary, Mother of Mankind, North Providence


I walked here for Mass yesterday. The church is on a quiet, suburban back street, and it has a beautiful exterior with a courtyard and statues to pray in front of.

Anyone know what this is, and what it symbolizes?
Hard to tell from the picture, but this is a running fountain.


On the inside, the church is similarly nice in a modern way, but very small. Sadly, no balcony or anything like that. The music stuff is in a little room sticking out of the back.




I really enjoyed the Mass here. The priest was very funny and engaging - he's retired, and in residence at the parish. He said a few words about the first reading prior to the Mass even starting, which I thought was great, because it really focused my attention on what was about to take place in front of me. The reading was from Tobit, a book that I'd never given too much thought to before.


The priest also played a song from a CD player before the start of the Mass, which I've never seen before. This idea could potentially be very cheesy and lame; I've been to exactly one Sunday Mass with piped in music, and it was absolutely terrible. Any parish that resorts to that should just be put out of its misery, Old Yeller style. Fortunately, that's not how it came off at all in this setting, and I thought it was a nice way to calm down and pray to get ready for the start of Mass. The priest also played an instrumental song during communion.

No comments:

Post a Comment