Saturday, June 27, 2015

Church #26 - St. Patrick, Cumberland



This is a big, old school church. Unfortunately, it was pretty dark inside the church when I took these pictures. As you walk around, you can hear the floors creaking, and there's a strong but pleasant smell of wood. I'm lucky that I was able to get into the church, since Mass at a lot of the bigger, older churches is usually in a separate building. 




There are a few interesting things inside the church. There's a couple of huge quotes on the front walls, and the biggest collection of free reading material I've seen in any church. For some reason, there's also still a Christmas tree (undecorated) tucked away in a corner. Maybe there's nowhere big enough to move or store it? The stations of the cross in the church are also fantastic - they're huge, detailed paintings, and they really jump out at you compared to the stations in a lot of churches.






Unfortunately, the priest wasn't feeling well when I came here for Mass, so the laity had a communion service instead. I wasn't aware this was a thing; I've been to a communion service before given by a deacon, but I didn't know that we were allowed to conduct it. I'm assuming they wouldn't have been doing it if it wasn't allowed. I'm disappointed that I didn't get the full Mass, but I'm still counting this because I still got the Eucharist.

No comments:

Post a Comment