Friday, June 5, 2015

Church #14 - St. John the Baptist, Pawtucket



St. John the Baptist is spectacular. It's easily the second best church I've seen in the diocese (Blessed Sacrament in Providence is first). It's an enormous old immigrant church, with lots of handmade artwork and decoration.



I first came here for a "mass mob" about a year ago. The parish wanted to show itself off to the wider Catholic community, and invited everyone for a specific Mass. The church is in a blue collar area, and it's got to be expensive to maintain such a large and old building, but it seems like it's hanging in there just fine. It has Masses in several languages and an active youth group.



I came back here for pictures right after the last Mass of the day got out. For the first time since I started this blog, I finally got spotted going up in the balcony, by a custodian who wasn't too happy about it. He seemed fine after I showed him my camera and told him that I was there to take pictures.



I wish I could go up on the roof......

The most impressive artwork in the church is two huge murals on either side of the altar, which show that the church was built by French immigrants:




There is also an awesome little side chapel with an altar. They do Eucharistic adoration at least once a week here, and I'm guessing this is also where they have daily Mass.


I tried to get up on that balcony, but the door was locked.



I would be proud to be part of this parish and go here every Sunday, just for the physical structure alone. I wish there were more churches around like this; it's inspiring to think of the people who built them, and the faith and sense of community that they must have had.

I'd love to be the guy who has to light and put out these candles up on the wall. Looks fun.



No comments:

Post a Comment