Friday, June 26, 2015

Church #25 - Our Lady Queen of Martyrs, Woonsocket


"Our Lady, Queen of Martyrs" is definitely one of Mary's coolest and most underrated titles. It's fitting that I happened to go to Mass here on the feast of St. John the Baptist. The priest was an enthusiastic preacher, and he spent most of his homily talking about John the Baptist specifically, and martyrdom more generally.



Brown is easily the most dominant color in the interior of the church; there's wood everywhere you look. Sadly, there's no balcony. I found it impossible to tell how old the church is; it doesn't feel that new, but it also doesn't have the old school rectangular layout (something which is kind of hard to tell from the pictures I took).



One thing that jumped out at me is the statue of Jesus behind the altar. As you can see below, it's not a crucifix, but rather appears to be the risen Jesus. I'm trying to remember if I've seen this before. Apparently depicting Christ crucified isn't a requirement? And if it isn't, why is it that virtually every parish chooses the crucifix?


No comments:

Post a Comment