Thursday, June 11, 2015

Church #19 - St. Ann, Providence



St. Ann is very close to where I live, on Branch Ave. in Providence. I went here years ago when I was shopping around for a church, before I found St. Pius (this is absolutely nothing against St. Ann, I promise).



The church has some great art in it. It also stands out for having an unusually high ceiling and balcony - you are way up there if you're the organist or singer.




These murals are on either side of the tabernacle. It was really hard to get a good shot of them, this was the best I could do.

I also love the fact that this church has a smaller lower church, like the one I grew up in. This is where they have daily mass, and Eucharistic adoration once a week.

The lower church


This was in the back of the lower church. I guess it's a mini parish store? It didn't look like it gets used that often.

Like any urban parish, I'm guessing that finances and mass attendance are probably a bit of a struggle, though I have no actual basis for saying that. The bulletin notes that the parish has exceeded its fundraising goal for the diocesan appeal, which has to be a good sign.



There's a nice little outdoor area that the parish built about 15 years ago. I wasn't expecting that at all, since the parish is in such an urban area. Of course, in classic Buddy Cianci fashion, his name is prominently featured on the dedication plaque.

Not quite sure what to make of this. Maybe next time use pictures of actual parishioners, instead of cheesy celebrities and people from magazines?

No comments:

Post a Comment