Monday, June 22, 2015

Church #23 - St. John Vianney, Cumberland



I thought this was an extremely cool church. I came here on a rather gloomy Friday morning last week. On the way in, someone told me that there's a pair of hawks that likes to perch on the church steeple. I'm sad I missed them.



The interior of the church has been redone fairly recently. Apparently modern churches are growing on me, because I definitely thought it looked nice, both on the outside and the inside. They did a great job with it.



When the church was redone, the existing structure was left in place, switching from the typical vertical orientation to a horizontal one with the altar area at the center. You can tell this because the church still has its old balcony, though it's now oddly placed and not used for anything except storage.



Another highlight was an impressively large music area. I would love to go to Sunday Mass here sometime, because apparently the band is enormous. There are also a couple of screens suspended from the ceiling, megachurch-style, but I've been assured that it's not tacky and doesn't take anything away from the Mass. The idea is that everyone doesn't have to hold a missal and look downward while they're singing. For the other parts of the Mass, the stuff projected on the screens is prayerful and unobtrusive. They also have a large statue of St. John Vianney, which thankfully doesn't look creepy. This parish is clearly healthy and doing well.

The music area, featuring tons of places for different instruments and singers


There's also a prayer labyrinth outside. 

No comments:

Post a Comment