Thursday, September 17, 2015

Church #78 - St. Anthony, West Warwick





This seems like an all-around great parish. The church seems pretty new and they have a brand new and very nice parish center, with a long parking lot separating the two. The parish is extremely Portuguese, which I should have figured from seeing a set of Fatima statues on a hill outside. The parish also has a soup kitchen.





The daily Mass here is held in a small, intimate chapel in the parish center. I was only a few feet away from the priest for the entire Mass. Most of the Mass was in Portuguese, including the first reading and psalm. Like other non-English Masses I've been to, the congregation did a fair amount of singing. They sang in Portuguese right through the first part of the Liturgy of the Eucharist as the priest was saying his different prayers at the altar. The consecration itself was also in Portuguese, with the congregation singing a prayer as the priest held up the host.

The parish center

The chapel
The main church is notable for having tons of original artwork, all in the same white and blue style. This even includes the stations of the cross. It's a very cool looking modern church, and I wish I'd been able to spend more time in it. Parishioners were praying a rosary when I was in there, and I didn't want to be too much of a distraction.





No comments:

Post a Comment