Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Church #77 - St. Mary, Bristol



This might very well be the most beautiful church I've seen so far. I absolutely love it. The church is spectacularly colorful thanks to the beautiful and detailed stained glass windows that almost totally encircle the inside.



The altar area is also a standout, thanks mainly to the brilliant way it's lit. Both during and after Mass, the lighting draws and focuses your attention on the altar and tabernacle. There's a huge free book and CD area in the back of the church. There's also a board dedicated to military personnel that the parish is praying for, something which I've noticed many times, especially in this part of the state.



Even the bathroom and stairs up to the balcony have stained glass, indicating (presumably, and unsuprisingly) that some renovations have happened in the church's past. The passage up to the balcony was also unusally clean, and smelled very pleasantly of wood. The view from the balcony is breathtaking, thanks partly to its height, but mostly because it puts you close to eye level with all of the large stained glass windows. I hope I got good enough pictures of all of them. I wish I could live up here.






I've now been to all three Bristol churches, and thoroughly enjoyed all of them. Between that and the scenery, Bristol might now be my favorite town to visit in Rhode Island.



No comments:

Post a Comment