Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Church #76 - St. Matthew, Cranston




There was a pretty good turnout (at least 30) for the Saturday morning Mass here a couple weeks ago. The church bells rang before Mass for what felt like an unnecessarily long time, but I had no problem with this since that's one of my favorite sounds in the world. I also love the idea of the neighbors having a little bit of church stuff in the background as they go about their days. The Mass was preceded by a rosary, with one unusually intense (and I mean that in the best possible way) male parishioner leading it from the front of the church.




The church has white walls, red carpet, and a high ceiling. The front of the church is a bit strange, but not in a bad way - there appear to be cry rooms on either side of the altar area, which I'm guessing used to serve different functions. There is also a little chapel behind the altar which is almost totally unfurnished, save for a couple of benches and a table with a bible on it. I've wondered before about exactly how much use rooms like this get, but at least they're lovely to look at.

One of the cry rooms, with the altar through the door

The chapel


The church also has lots of statues and icons, the kind of place where you keep seeing more of them that you missed as you spend more time looking around. I was happy to find that the balcony was open, up a delightfully tall and winding spiral staircase in the church's lobby.




2 comments:

  1. The intense parishioner in which you speak happens to be one of the most faithful me you will ever meet. Secondly, your comments are quite judgemental...do you have a degree in church architecture, theology or liturgy? Finally...you have no business wondering up to people's choir lofts for your own amusement...you just may tick off the wrong organist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ^ One quick response to the comment above... I didn't consider "intense" to be an insult, especially since it applied to prayer. I thought that guy was awesome, and I'm sorry that I didn't choose language that expressed that more clearly. I totally believe you about how faithful he is.

    ReplyDelete