Saturday, September 5, 2015

Church #72 - Our Lady of Lourdes, Providence




Lots of pictures with this one. I walked here today for the 4pm Mass, since they don't have a daily Mass here. It's also on Atwells Ave., about a half hour walk from where I live, and it was a beautiful day out. I'm not sure if there's any sort of parish center building. There appears to be a former parish school building next door which might have served that purpose in the past. The rectory next door is beautiful from the outside, which is true of most of the ones I've seen.




There are a lot of beautiful paintings on the front walls and ceiling. The altar area still has a communion rail. The church has very nice carpeting, though that doesn't hide the fact that the floor noticeably creaks when you walk on parts of it. There's a rose window in the balcony in the back. There's a little prayer room in the back with a bible on a stand, which I've seen a few times before. The room looks pretty small for a meeting place, but apparently that's what it's for. The tabernacle is off to the side of the altar area. This doesn't show up in any of my pictures, but the Stations of the Cross are labeled in French, which makes perfect sense given the parish's name. This must have been the French parish for the area.

The inside of the organ

Balcony view


On the way down from the balcony, I noticed a very random door that isn't even on floor level. It looks like sort of chimney - I'd love to hear about its purpose from someone. Maybe something to do with the organ?



Inside the door

There was a ton of talking before the Mass started. Annoyingly, there was also a large extended family right behind me that kept whispering to each other during the whole Mass. The Mass was only 21 minutes long - there's normally a music ministry, but they were away for a wedding, so it basically felt like a daily Mass but with more people.

The prayer room I mentioned above



2 comments:

  1. IN THAT SMALL DOOR WAS THE ROPE TO RING THE BELL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a French Canadian church. I attended the school that is located behind the church. It's an apartment building now. The convent is to the right of the school. I think that is also an apartment building. The rectory is to the right of the church.

    ReplyDelete