Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Church #73 - St. Thomas the Apostle, Warren




This is the first church I've been to in Warren. I believe Narragansett is the only town with multiple churches left that I haven't visited yet. I've driven by this modern but nice church a bunch of times, as it's right on route 136. The parish has plenty of events, highlighted by a 'Friday Night Kitchen" that sells food to all comers on Friday evenings. There's a large yard and what appears to be a concession stand-type building in the back for this purpose. The parish also has an intriguingly named "Holy Spirit Committee."



This is a Portuguese parish that continues the (clearly not coincidental) trend of well-decorated Portuguese churches I've been to. There are tons of statues and other decorations in the front. The church is air conditioned, but unfortunately the priest didn't use a microphone at the altar, so I had a lot of trouble hearing him for parts of the Mass. I stayed in the church after Mass for a little while, but discovered to my horror that I was keeping the ladies who lock up the church waiting. I wish they'd come up to me and said something, and I dearly hope that this is the only time I've done this.



No comments:

Post a Comment