Sunday, August 16, 2015

Church #61 - St. Mary, West Warwick



This would be a thoroughly charming little church on its own, but the fact that it's the oldest in Rhode Island makes it even more so. It's less than a 5 minute walk from where I used to live in West Warwick, but I had no idea that it existed until I mapped out the directions to it. The weekday Mass I went to was preceded by a rosary and litany to Mary, both led by the priest from the pulpit - a fantastic example for a pastor to set for his parishioners.



My favorite part of the church is its three balconies - the typical one in the back, and two more on either side of the altar to form a T-shaped sanctuary. A couple of them were roped off, and I sort of wish now that I'd ignored that and gotten into them anyway. While relatively bare, I found the church to be a very prayerful environment, mostly (I think) because of its size and age. I certainly wish I'd known about it when I lived so close.



No comments:

Post a Comment