Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Church #59 - St. Mark, Cranston


Remains from our freak Tuesday morning thunderstorm.... yikes

This church is really close to the malls in Cranston. It's actually part of the inspiration for this blog; during my April vacation I walked around to lots of different churches, but a lot of them were closed, and even when they weren't I didn't really have time to linger and enjoy them. I distinctly remember being at this church about 20 minutes before the start of Mass, enjoying the peace and quiet and wishing I could stay.



The congregation here was praying the Rosary as a friend and I arrived for the morning Mass. I enjoy how each group of people says the St. Michael the Archangel prayer in a slightly different way, and how they each have a different set of prayers that they add on at the end. The parish has a lengthy bulletin with a lot of different stuff going on, and they seem to really love Matthew Kelly. The church property is huge and has a whole bunch of buildings, including what used to be a school.


The church interior is a big rectangle, which is unusual for a modern church but which I prefer to a lot of other layouts. It's also fairly sparse, with almost nothing on the walls or windows, though there are plenty of statues and decorations toward the front. The definite highlight of the church is an awesome devotional side room that's full of different Saint statues.



No comments:

Post a Comment