Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Church #54 - St. Catherine of Siena, Little Compton


My trip to this awesome little parish was my first time ever in Little Compton, and it was every bit as beautiful as advertised. I have a coworker who lives here, and he showed me around for a little while after Mass. I definitely see why someone would want to live down here, despite (or because of) it feeling so far away from everything.



My favorite part of the church's interior is the ground level, 6+ foot high stained glass windows. They show the 15 mysteries of the Rosary, along with a bonus 16th window of a rather serious-looking Mary praying in front of a crucifix, a wonderful representation of her role in the life of the Church. The main crucifix in the sanctuary is off to the side of the altar, where the presider's chair is, and shows a more tortured-looking Jesus than usual.



The church is pretty small; I would imagine that it's much busier over the summer, and the nearly 40 people at the 8am Mass would seem to confirm that. A few parishioners said a rosary before the Mass, led by a man with a wonderfully deep and resonant voice, like a more pleasant version of Darth Vader. To his endless credit, the priest was one of those in the pews saying the rosary with the parishioners.


No comments:

Post a Comment