Friday, August 14, 2015

Church #60 - St. Pius X, Westerly



This is a large, active parish in the distant southern tip of the state. The parish has an attached school, and I have heard several people talk about how wonderful the priest here is. The priest (Fr. Ray)'s homilies are actually available every week on the parish's website, and are archived going back years.



The church is huge and rectangular, with a rose window and tons of stained glass. They haven't yet joined the trend of moving the tabernacle back behind the altar. I love the alpha and omega symbols on either side of the crucifix, and there are some great statues scattered around. There's also a beautiful little side chapel room that doesn't really look like it's used for anything, but I could be wrong about that.



The Saturday morning Mass I went to was presided over by a visiting priest from New York. Though not particularly strong, he had a noticeable New York accent which I greatly enjoyed. He was also one of the most animated priests I've ever seen say a Mass. The Mass was also very well attended, especially for a Saturday morning, with almost 50 people. It's the only Saturday morning Mass in town, which I'm sure helps with that.

St. Jude with the world's biggest club


No comments:

Post a Comment