Friday, July 10, 2015

Church #42 - Holy Cross, Providence




This is an awesome church. It's small (the side aisles are basically nonexistent), but it's got a lot going on. There are statues of saints everywhere, especially in the front. The are also 22 unusually tall and beautiful stained glass windows of different saints. My favorite decorations are a mural of the last supper on the front of the altar and a statue of Jesus with arms upraised which you see as you leave the church. The pulpit is behind the altar for some reason and unusually tall.




There were a lot of people at the morning Mass. The priest dedicated the Mass to St. Benedict even though his feast day is tomorrow, presumably because the parish doesn't have Saturday morning Mass. The congregation said the St. Michael the Archangel prayer at the end of Mass, which I wish they did at every parish. The priest has a third class relic of Sister Lucia (the last of the Fatima children to die) which he showed us after Mass. There was also a very long piece in the bulletin from the priest about the Mass, in an attempt to better educate his parishioners about the significance of what's going on in front of them.

Obligatory balcony pictures


This church also stood out to me as I was walking around to different churches during my April vacation. I came to it on a Sunday right before the 11am Mass, which was going to feature a baptism. I ended up spending a while talking to a hilarious old Italian guy who called me out for taking pictures in the back of the church. He introduced me to his wife, who was the usher and who he's been married to for over 50 years. God bless them.



No comments:

Post a Comment