Friday, July 22, 2016

Final Thoughts



This has been a wonderful pilgrimage. Though I can’t entirely wrap my mind around the amount of time I’ve spent on it, it’s great to look back at all the blog posts, and to consider the number of Masses I’ve been to because of them. One of the biggest reasons for my doing this was to get myself to Mass more often, and my love of the Mass and the Eucharist has definitely grown as a result.

On the non-spiritual side, I’ve really grown in knowledge of, and appreciation for, the state of Rhode Island, which I am not a native of. I’ve now driven all over the state extensively, and I’ve seen so much of it that I feel at home in a way I never did before. Every time I hear about or drive by a church, I can now say that I’ve been there, and I can almost always remember what it looks like and roughly when I went there.

My most obvious takeaway from all this is that we have a lot of beautiful churches in this state, and we’re lucky to have them and shouldn’t take them for granted. The biggest thing that spurred me to do this was the desire to spend more time sitting in the peace and quiet with our Lord, something which I don’t spend nearly enough time doing.

It’s also worth pondering that as dysfunctional as the world might seem, we have thousands of people faithfully attending Mass every day in just this one little state. There must be a ton of grace flowing from that, in a way that we’ll never understand in this life. There’s something beautiful and comforting about remembering this as I go about my day.

Lastly, if you’re looking at a post about a church that you know anything about, I would really enjoy hearing more about it in the comments. I’ve often said that I’m one of the last people who should be doing a blog like this, since I know very little about art, architecture, theology, or Rhode Island history. I know that I’m missing a substantial amount of the interesting information about these churches, and the more I learn the better.

Thank you so much to everyone who’s been reading this. God bless!

Greg

2 comments:

  1. I've so enjoyed reading these posts over the past year, Greg. It's been wonderful to follow your journey and take a vicarious tour of our state and its churches. Thank you for sharing it with all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog. Just discovered it today and spent an hour getting acquainted with it. You've done what I've half thought of doing for years. Rhode Island is so blessed to have a bounty of beautiful church buildings, particularly the older ones that could probably never be built again in the same way. I happy to see someone has chronicled them for posterity. God bless.

    ReplyDelete