Sunday, July 10, 2016

Church #139 - St. Charles Borromeo, Providence



This church is across the street from the Armory, my favorite building in Providence. I had no idea such a huge building existed in the city until I visited St. Charles for the first time on foot, and it felt like seeing a UFO in the distance or something. This is a very diverse parish that has a food pantry and a beautiful little adoration chapel, which is where daily Masses are held when there are few enough people.

The Adoration chapel



I visited for the parish's lone weekend English mass this morning. I always meant to go to their monthly Healing Mass to see what that was like, but never did. The 10am Mass didn't end until 11:30, thanks partly to an almost half-hour long sermon. Even as the recessional music was still playing, a bunch of people were coming in to get good seats for the Spanish Mass at noon, which I'm guessing is jam packed.




The main church is awesome, like all the big, old Providence churches. There are lots of paintings and statues in the altar area, including a fantastic mural with a bunch of saints and biblical figures gathered around the Trinity. There's a projector screen in the front for music lyrics and Mass prayers. Since I sat way in the back, I didn't see the massive Divine Mercy image in the choir loft until I was taking pictures afterward.



No comments:

Post a Comment