Monday, February 15, 2016

Church #105 - St. Anthony, Woonsocket




This church was built in 1926 to serve the Italian community in Woonsocket. It's just a couple of blocks down the street from Precious Blood, the church I went to on New Year's Eve. The parish just added a Vietnamese Mass on Sundays. I got lost for a few minutes trying to get back to 146, as required by Woonsocket city law, since I couldn't go back exactly the way I came.




Unusually for a weekday morning Mass, the Mass had an altar boy - maybe because it's school vacation week - but either way, God Bless the kid for being up for a 7:30 Mass. The church's interior is highlighted by a mural of St. Anthony in heaven behind the altar, being greeted by a Jesus and a rather relaxed-looking God the Father. The church's pews are unusually close together for some reason. The church also has some of the most vivid and interesting stained glass scenes I've seen on its windows.




No comments:

Post a Comment