Monday, June 27, 2016

Church #133 - Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Providence




This is another inner-city Providence church that I'd always found locked on prior visits. It's not especially large by urban standards, but it's spectacular inside, with possibly the biggest stained glass windows that I've seen anywhere. There are lots of other statues and paintings as well, many of which have been recently restored. The altar area is dominated by a gigantic Divine Mercy image.




I went to the parish's lone English Mass on Sunday morning. While it's a relatively small community, it's very diverse and everyone seems to know everyone else, which is a cool dynamic to witness. The Mass featured a choir and the longest sign of peace I've ever seen at a parish. Several people made a point of coming over and welcoming me as a new person.




No comments:

Post a Comment